[SDL] Re: SDL_Image export image capability?

Albert Cahalan albert at users.sf.net
Tue Jan 18 14:30:10 PST 2005

On Tue, 2005-01-18 at 17:36, Damian wrote:
> Damian <damian_rajkowski <at> technologyonecorp.com> writes:
>
> Oops. Sorry Bill. I just read another post from Colin Vella (SDL Digest Vol 9,
> Issue 18) where he points out SDL_SaveBMP.
>
> What i meant to ask, before i worded it badly, is whether SDL could include
> saving to PNG/JPG, whether its in SDL_Image or SDL itself (the library doesn't
> really matter).

BMP is an obscure format with many variations. It's bloated
and limited, yet still complex. I have to wonder why it gets
supported at all. The useful and modern formats are:

PNG, obviously
JPEG
PNM, optionally with gzip compression
PostScript (level 2 or 3, binary or ASCII83, deflate or uncompressed)

That's about it for modern stuff, unless you count JNG and MNG.
I think there are patent problems with Jpeg2000.

GIF, TIFF, TARGA, PCX, PICT, BMP... all are obsolete.