[SDL] SDL under Mac OS X

Bob Ippolito bob at redivi.com
Mon Jan 17 14:01:41 PST 2005

On Jan 17, 2005, at 16:29, Matthew Cox wrote:

> Bob Ippolito wrote:
>
>> I'm not sure how people think the library solution is easier (or why
>> you feel the need to build it yourself, unless you're patching it,
>> but then you have LGPL issues), but whatever floats your boat.
>
> I think that's precisely it. The people advocating the dylib approach
> tend to be people coming from a traditional unix environment. It
> sounds like the original poster was porting from Linux, so this is
> probably what will make more sense to him.
>
> I'm not sure what optimizations are applied to the dylib (-Os/n?, G3,
> G4, G5?), which is another reason to build yourself.

Not a good one.

You can't really distribute software that doesn't work on a G3, so the
default optimizations used by the Xcode project are fine.  When the
Altivec patches make it in, they will be used conditionally at runtime
depending on the CPU.  Processor specific compile time optimization
flags are simply not appropriate when you're distributing compiled
software for a heterogeneous environment.  In my experience, even if
you do have the "luxury" of using them, they also do not have much of
an impact on performance anyway.  -fast can get you a few percent in
some cases, but then your application doesn't work on anything but the
G5.

If you're compiling SDL merely to use software on your own computer,
then I envy the amount of spare time you have and wonder why you'd want
to spend it tweaking compiler optimization flags for almost no
measurable return.

> Then of course there's the unix mindset of not really trusting
> anything you haven't compiled yourself (hey, that's why I was a Gentoo
> user pre-OS X)

Where "compiled yourself" means "emerge compiled it for me with
whatever options the maintainer chose to use"? :)

-bob