[SDL] SDL under Mac OS X

Matthew Cox matthew.c at rogers.com
Sat Jan 15 23:27:26 PST 2005

Bob Ippolito wrote:

> On Jan 15, 2005, at 23:28, Matthew Cox wrote:
>
>> Olivier Fabre wrote:
>>
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> I want to build my game for OS X. SDL shouldn't be statically linked
>>> because my program isn't GPL. Should I use the "framework" or the
>>> UNIX-style shared lib system ?
>>>
>>> I'd like to be able to keep SDL in my game's directory, too.
>>>
>>> I googled and looked at the os x faq on libsdl.org but didn't find the
>>> answer.
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>>
>> It also works fine to include the shared library in the Frameworks
>> subtree of the bundle.
>

> Assuming it was linked as @executable_path relative, of course.  The
> "developer" framework available from libsdl.org is already linked in
> this manner so it's less of a hassle.

Sure, I frameworks also have to be linked that way. You can either try
and see if you can bodge it with the install_name_tool, or you can just
build it from scratch passing that as a linker argument.

I would tend to recommend bundling the library instead of the framework.
It seems wasteful to distribute the headers and versioning stuff that a
framework entails. No reason you couldn't remove the headers and all
that, it's just that at that point why bother with the framework shells?
Just my 20 millidollars.

Matt