[SDL] Multi Monitor Question.

Michael B. Edwin Rickert panda at industry.no-ip.com
Wed Jan 12 21:01:09 PST 2005

Robert Diel wrote:
> Hello all,
> 	It's been a long time since I've written, but I run into a bit of a
> concern that I hoped y'all could help with.  I am currently in the
> design phase of putting together a linux system that will require 3
> separate video outputs and 2 separate touch screen inputs.  Is it
> possible to parse the input using SDL and determine which of the
> touchscreens is being pressed?

Right now SDL dosn't support multiple windows, nevermind multiple
displays. What you may want to do is have multiple programs (or copies
of the program) running that communicate with each other via shared
memory or signals - then each process would be handing the input and
display of their specific window (or passing it along to another
process, which would imply the screen/input by context). How feasable
this is depends on the application.

>  Also, has anyone used a quad head video
> card with SDL?  Finally, is it possible in linux, to use an array of
> video cards instead of a single quad head video card can I use two dual
> head cards?  I assume the answer to this one is you much use a single
> card, but correct me if I am wrong.

I'd actually assume the opposite. There is the possibility that you may
have to run multiple X servers to accomplish this... but I'm nearly
positive multiple graphics cards would work on a linux box. And by
"would work" I mean there's easy(ish) to use ready to go support
programmed for it.