[SDL] forward decleration problem

Justin Coleman jmcoleman at gmail.com
Fri Jan 7 12:09:45 PST 2005

On Fri, 7 Jan 2005 19:22:45 -0000, Kostas Kostiadis <kos at climaxgroup.com> wrote:
> To answer your other question, I don't like including headers in header
> files unless I have to.  It creates hude dependancy trees that on
> some platforms (e.g. GameCube) are very problematic (especialy
> on large projects).  So, as a habit, I prefer to use pointers and
> references in headers for things I can forward declare and then include
> the relevant headers in the implementation files when I actualy need to
> use these types.

With MSVC 6 and 7 you can put

#pragma once

at the beginning of the header, and it will only be included once,
regardless of how many other files (or levels) include it.

If you're not using MSVC, I believe you can wrap your headers like this:

#ifndef MY_HEADER_H
#define MY_HEADER_H

... all your declarations etc here...

#endif /* MY_HEADER_H */

That way again it will only get included once. That should be portable
to any ANSI C++ compiler, and I believe any ANSI C compiler as well.

Hope this helps.

-Justin