[SDL] writting a doom-like game

Bob Pendleton bob at pendleton.com
Tue Jan 4 13:32:12 PST 2005

On Tue, 2005-01-04 at 11:46 -0800, Bill Kendrick wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 04, 2005 at 09:22:15AM -0600, Bob Pendleton wrote:
> > There are a lot of things that were done in DOOM that are not worth
> > doing now. For example, DOOM used fixed point arithmetic, but modern
> > processors (486DX and above) do floating point math very well, so there
> > is no need to deal with fixed point arithmetic.
>
> Well, this kind of stuff would definitely still be useful in the PDA and
> cellphone programming realms (where small screens, lack of OpenGL / accel 3D
> graphics, and no FPU are still the standard ;^) )

Yeah... for how long? The first phones with 3D acceleration are for sale
now. The turn over time on cell phones isn't very long. So, by the time
a newbie learns enough about 3D programming to develop a game, the need
for the skills will be gone. :-) Seriously, in 5 years will there be any
phones or PDAs for sale that don't have 3D acceleration? How about 3
years from now?

I looking forward to the first time I see someone playing a stereo video
game using two cell phones or PDAs strapped into a steriopticon
displaying the left and right images on the left and right device. Of
course, it will use something like 802.11g for synchronization and for
multiplayer communications.

Of course, the game would be based on SDL, otherwise this would be a
very off topic post!

		How Cool Would That Be?

			Bob Pendleton