[SDL] flash / shockwave

Bob Pendleton bob at pendleton.com
Tue Jan 4 08:05:12 PST 2005

On Tue, 2005-01-04 at 11:13 +0000, nex wrote:
> hi i'm a risc os user / programmer, we now have sdl and a few supporting
> libraries, mainly due to my nagging the right people.
>
> i was wondering if there would be any interest developing in a sdl flash /
> shockwave player which may be a bonus for any platforms that do not have a
> comprehensive flash / shockwave ability. ( such as riscos ;-) )
>
> generally i am a noob to both c and sdl, so i wouldnt know where to start.
> i just thought it might be a project worth thinking about.

I think I would start by looking to see who else is already working on
doing what you want to do. With hundreds of millions of people on the
net it is likely that someone is already working on this problem. You
could learn a lot from them and they may be able to use your help. For
example: http://freshmeat.net/projects/swfdec/ appears to be an LGPLed
flash rendering library that you could use as a base for the project.

Poking around a little more I found that there is a swfdec plugin for
gstreamer and a library the lets you use SDL as a video sink fore
gstreamer. So, you might be able to get what you want by extracting open
source code from several existing libraries without having to write much
code at all.

		Bob Pendleton