[SDL] glSDL backend

Stephane Marchesin stephane.marchesin at wanadoo.fr
Tue Jan 4 07:22:53 PST 2005

Lucas Clemente Vella wrote:

> Stephane Marchesin wrote:
>
>> Well, considering that glSDL doesn't change the x11 backend, there is
>> probably another problem.
>> If you compile it but don't set the environment variable, does it work ?
>

> I give up on blobwars. Even with unpatched SDL, I need to restart my X11
> once to get it working (I have no idea why), but after restarting X11,
> it works with unpatched SDL and with glSDL (withoud sound in both, I
> belive it is a bug of my version of blobwars with SDL-1.2.8).

Well, sometimes using glSDL makes bug appear in other software.
Usually programs that assume specific pixel formats or such.

> Now, with nq-sdl(software render), form QuakeForge, worked with no
> problem without setting SDL_VIDEODRIVER, setting it to glSDL, dga and
> x11.
> With nq-sgl (OpenGL), without setting SDL_VIDEODRIVER, I got almost
> the same thing that I got with Neverwinter Nights:
>
> NWN:
> X Error of failed request:  BadValue (integer parameter out of range
> for operation)
>   Major opcode of failed request:  89 (X_StoreColors)
>   Value in failed request:  0xffffffff
>   Serial number of failed request:  28
>
> nq-sgl:
> X Error of failed request:  BadValue (integer parameter out of range
> for operation)
>   Major opcode of failed request:  89 (X_StoreColors)
>   Value in failed request:  0xffffffff
>   Serial number of failed request:  29

Please try with programs that are known to handle the failure
gracefully, like for example testgl from the SDL source distribution. As
I said, not all programs do that :)

Here is what I get :
$ export SDL_VIDEODRIVER=glSDL
$ ./testgl