[SDL] Re: Problem with full screen + sleeping on OS X.

Bob Ippolito bob at redivi.com
Mon Jan 3 11:32:28 PST 2005

On Jan 3, 2005, at 2:54 AM, Steven Saunders wrote:

>> I've just discovered a bug with sleeping and fullscreen.
>> Here is the bug report and work around I submitted to
>> Apple. I think it would be wise to include the workaround
>> in SDL.
>
> This problem has something to do with the way SDL does fullscreen
> under OS X. I have a similar problem when my app tries to open a file
> requester or an alert panel. The requester/panel appears under the
> SDL fullscreen app, and is hence inaccessible.. and since the dialogs
> are modal nothing can be done to get out of it except ssh-ing into my
> Mac and "kill -9"ing the process.
>
> I'd be interested to hear whether Apple says anything about this
> problem (my guess is that they will say that the problem is with
> SDL.)

This is a bug in your application, not SDL or Cocoa.  SDL fullscreen is
just that, it becomes the ONLY thing responsible for drawing of the
entire screen.  If you want to be able to use other Cocoa windows
(dialogs, etc.) then you can not use fullscreen (without more magical
hacks than it is worth).

-bob