AW: [SDL] glSDL backend

Stephane Marchesin stephane.marchesin at wanadoo.fr
Sun Jan 2 15:09:36 PST 2005

Michael Kastner wrote:

>>>Are there any plans for a binary (dll/so) release?
>>>
>>It's hard or impossible to do properly, since glSDL is a
>>backend to SDL, and SDL does not support "backend plugins" or
>>the like.
>>

>If I understood everything correctly then in order to use the new glSDL you
>have to
>1) download the SDL source code and the glSDL patch
>2) patch SDL
>3) possibly enable the glSDL backend with some configuration option
>4) build the patched and configured SDL
>5) link your program to the patched SDL statically/dynamically
>6) tell SDL to use the glSDL backend alternatively to the already existing
>ones (x11, dga, directx, windib, ...)
>
>Because it would save me a lot time to skip steps 1 to 4 (and replace it by
>"download a sdl.dll/libsdl.o containing the glSDL patch"), I was curious if
>there are plans to release compiled dynamic libraries - either in the next
>official SDL version or seperated from the official SDL releases.
>Now that I think about it, I realize that this might be too much to ask for,
>since glSDL is still in a beta stage.

Well, I think I have removed all the bugs I could find. So while it's
the first public"beta" it shouldn't really be that buggy.

>Nevertheless it would be interesting to know if there are plans to integrate
>glSDL into future official binary releases of SDL and when this would
>roughly happen.

I really hope that it will end in the SDL tree. I have no plans
maintaining a 100kb patch against a moving cvs tree :)
Even if it's just disabled by default for a start.

Stephane