[SDL] Problem with ALSA only...

Stephen Anthony stephena at roadrunner.nf.net
Sun Nov 30 05:32:01 PST 2003

On Sunday 30 November 2003 04:00 am, Eddahbi Karim wrote:

> If I compile SDL with only the alsa support and I did
> SDL_AUDIODRIVER=dma, I got no sound :-\.
> I've a via82xx, libsdl-1.2.6-r3

This makes sense, since you haven't compiled in the client-side OSS
code.

[snipped]

> It's really strange, I think I'll keep the OSS emulation at the
> moment.

You have to make sure that the ALSA OSS emulation drivers are compiled,
installed, and loaded.  This has nothing to do with SDL specifically.

In my case, I have no trace of the OSS drivers on my system, only ALSA.
So when I use SDL_AUDIODRIVER=dma, it may be using the OSS *code* in
the SDL driver, but it's still using *ALSA* at some level in the
kernel.  So the problem would seem to be with the actual SDL ALSA code,
and not with ALSA itself.  But I still haven't managed to track it
down.

Steve