[SDL] compiling problems with SDL.h

Petri Latvala adrinael at nuclearzone.org
Sun Nov 30 05:29:01 PST 2003

> I have used:
>
> gcc -o myfirst myfirst.c `sdl-config --cflags` `sdl-config --libs`
>
> and I have added export PATH=$PATH:/usr/local/bin
> in /home/roberto/.bashrc
>
> Besides, I have finded other library SDL in my mpeg4ip project and I have renamed the file config.cache in config.cache-old in SDL directory ($ locate config.cache return /home/projects/SDL-1.2.6/config.cache)
>
> but compiler's answere is:
>
> sdl-config --cflags no such file or directory
> sdl-config --libs no such file or directory
> SDL.h no such file  or directory
> SDL_INIT_VIDEO undeclared
> SDL_INIT_AUDIO undeclared
>
> How I compile my files?

You need backticks, `, not apostrophes, '. The apostrophes makes the
shell pass the whole string inside them as one command line parameter,
that is, making gcc believe it's a filename you want to compile. The
backticks makes the shell execute the command inside them and put the
output in the command line.

--
Petri Latvala