[SDL] Compiling an SDL application in Windows ...

Stephen Anthony stephena at roadrunner.nf.net
Sat Nov 29 12:46:01 PST 2003

On Saturday 29 November 2003 04:20 pm, Peter Strempel wrote:

[snipped]

> In my eyes MinGW is one of the best choices, especially if you are
> used to working on Linux. Additionally, using the same compiler makes
> life just easier if you develop on Linux and then compile on Windows,
> regardless of the theory that the same code should be compiled by any
> ANSI confirm compiler. That's just the theory. :=)
> The drawback of MinGW is, it's quite slow. Slower than gcc on Linux,
> and much slower than Borlands or Microsofts compilers. The created
> executables are large if you have C++ code. But I dont see that as a
> real disadvantage with todays enourmous harddrives. Who cares if it's
> 3 or 5 MB?

When you say MinGW is slow, do you mean slow in compiling or slow in
program execution?  Because if you see my previous email, it seems that
SDL code compiled with MinGW is 5-10 times slower than gcc in Linux.
If that's true across the board (and not just a fault of my code), then
that solution is unacceptable.

Thanks for the info,
Steve