[SDL] SDL on MinGW -- problem with SDLMain and WinMain()

Eddy L O Jansson eddy at klopper.net
Thu Nov 27 04:44:00 PST 2003

On Thu, 27 Nov 2003 03:35:02 -0700, John Silicon <jsilicon at earthlink.net> wrote:

> You misread.  g++ is giving the message that the files "shell" and
> "sdl-config" don't exist

  Obviously one of you is running mingw from the MSYS environment and the other isn't.

  I think -- but could be wrong -- that most people don't use MSYS and as such don't have access to bash/autoconfig and the like, as your failure suggests.

  To build SDL I think you'll need to be running in MSYS (Sam would know for sure), but when you have the SDL.dll and libs you don't need to use MSYS to compile your actual software that is _using_ SDL.

  So it's to different things; is the goal to compile SDL, or is the goal to compile a software using SDL. I compile using mingw outside the MSYS environment by using the flags "-lmingw32 -lSDLmain -lSDL -mwindows" and linking against the SDL.dll. Works nicely.