[SDL] Loosing control of SDL window

David Olofson david at olofson.net
Wed Nov 26 01:35:01 PST 2003

On Wednesday 26 November 2003 02.45, Sam Lantinga wrote:
> > I've managed to solve the problem. What I did was calling
> > SDL_Init(0) assuming the event handling subsystems would be
> > initialized. However it was'nt so I have to call SDL_Init() with
> > SDL_INITVIDEO. This is not a good solution for me because the
> > video subsystem might not be used at all. So my question now is
> > if there is a way to initialize event handling without
> > initializing the video subsystem. Perhaps by calling internal SDL
> > functions? Can it be done in a way so that it does'nt create
> > problems when later calling SDL_InitSubSystem(SDL_INITVIDEO)?
>
> Wait, how were you getting an SDL window without using
> SDL_INIT_VIDEO?

As I understand it, the idea is to *not* use an SDL window, but only
SDL surfaces and s/w blitting. A GUI toolkit (in this case, FLTK) is
used to render manually managed shadow surfaces into windows. This
way, there's no need for an SDL managed display surface, which is how
the single window limit is bypassed. The embedding/integration part
is handled by the GUI toolkit's image rendering features.

BTW, I've used SDL in similar ways for simple image processing tools.
Seems like s/w blitting and stuff works without initializing the
video subsystem, but I've only tried it on Linux...