[SDL] calibration of inputdevices

Samuel taxtropel_news at yahoo.com
Fri Nov 21 07:39:00 PST 2003

great, I'm just trying to make the most robust code I can, the more feedback
the better.

After this I plan on adding calibration to the program, (jscal style)

here's what the Linux kernel documentation has to say about it.

(only an excerpt about calibration from
/usr/src/linux/Documentation/input/joystick.txt )

*** Begin Paste ***

2.6. Calibration
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
  For most joysticks you won't need any manual calibration, since the
joystick should be autocalibrated by the driver automagically. However, with
some analog joysticks, that either do not use linear resistors, or if you
want better precision, you can use the jscal program

        jscal -c /dev/js0

 included in the joystick package to set better correction coefficients than
what the driver would choose itself.

  After calibrating the joystick you can verify if you like the new
calibration using the jstest command, and if you do, you then can save the
correction coefficients into a file

        jscal -p /dev/js0 > /etc/joystick.cal

  And add a line to your rc script executing that file

        source /etc/joystick.cal

  This way, after the next reboot your joystick will remain calibrated. You
can also add the jscal -p line to your shutdown script.

*** End Paste ***