[SDL] Problem with CreateRGBSurface an blitting

Matthias Rustler MRustler at t-online.de
Sun Nov 30 18:09:01 PST 2003

On Sat, 2003-11-15 at 09:07, Pieter Hulshoff wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> I recently wrote an SDL front-end to xmame which uses the SDL_ttf library. Now
> this thing compiles and runs fine on my computer, and I've also heard from
> other users that it's working fine on theirs. One of the new users however
> told me that on his RedHat system (I'm using SuSE 8.2 myself) the program
> tells him it is incapable of rendering the text (an error message I put in in
> case TTF_RenderText_Solid comes back with NULL). I don't know which version
> he's using of SDL_ttf, but he's tried FreeType 2.4 and 2.5 sofar. Any
> thoughts what might be causing this problem or how I might find out what is?

The default installs for FreeType on RedHat have all the patented
features turned off so that there is no chance of RedHat being sued for
patent violations. Downloading the source code and installing from
scratch with those features enabled may get you sued, but it also may
solve the problem.

			Bob Pendleton

> Regards,
>
> Pieter Hulshoff

+ Bob Pendleton: writer and programmer. +
+ email: Bob at Pendleton.com              +
+ web:   www.GameProgrammer.com         +