[SDL] glSDL Texture sizes

David Olofson david at olofson.net
Mon Nov 10 14:36:01 PST 2003

On Monday 10 November 2003 20.28, Greg Trounson wrote:
[...]
> > I'll have a look at it right away and see if I can fill in the
> > missing case. (I have a new glSDL/wrapper version ready for
> > release anyway, with some glSDL/backend collission warnings
> > avoided and stuff.) Then we'll at least have it working in both
> > glSDL versions until someone gets around to do it properly.
>
> That'd be great.  Let me know if I can help in any way.

Well, you can test it when I'm done. ;-)

Unfortunately, I had to fix some bugs for money and stuff, so I only
got halfway before my training session. I'll try to get it working
tonight.

> I am trying to make a basic game engine that implements smooth
> motion and glSDL seems to be the only way to do it under Linux/SDL.
>  One objective is to get it working on as many OpenGL-capable
> configurations as possible.

Note that if you desperately need OpenGL rendering, you might actually
be better off using OpenGL directly. That gives you much more control
(lots of blending modes, 2D and 3D transformations, Z buffering etc
etc) and probably slightly better performance.

The point with glSDL is that it's still the SDL 2D API, meaning that
the applications will run with SDL 2D backends as well. On many
platforms, a properly used 2D backend is quite fast enough even for
fullscreen scrollers, and more seriously; it is sometimes the only
option.