[SDL] Windowed OpenGL Performance on OS X

Richard Schreyer rws_list at girr.org
Thu Nov 6 10:29:01 PST 2003

Well, this fixed itself with a restart.  I'm now getting ~70fps in
windowed mode.

Interestingly enough, in Panther compositing on OpenGL surfaces is
indeed done even on machines without QE, unlike in 10.2  (recall, my
card is a rage128 pro, 8mb).  Having a transparent terminal on top of
the testgl example dropped framerates from 70fps back down to ~5, right
where it was before.  (Compositing still isn't done at all for DVD
player surfaces, only for OpenGL).

There are two possibilities:
1) There was a completely transparent fullscreen window on top of it,
and Quartz was compositing.  What app created/owned this, I don't know.
2) Some resources on the card were not freed when a previous process
quit.

Richard Schreyer