[SDL] SDL C++ wrapper

Bob Pendleton bob at pendleton.com
Wed Nov 5 09:02:00 PST 2003

On Wed, 2003-11-05 at 11:07, federico.tomassetti at energema.it wrote:
> Hello,
> 	I've seen that more or less every C++ project using SDL it's building it's
> wrapper. There're some projects that tryed to build an indipendent wrapper
> but most of them are dead or incomplete. My idea it's that this would be a
> very useful project to realize but we need a good number of developers that
> work on the wrapper and a good number of developers that use the wrapper and
> say me (us?) if it's what they need. What's your opinion? Do you wanna
> contribute?

Why? What value is there in wrapping SDL?

I use SDL in C++, I have never seen a situation where there was any
value in wrapping SDL. I have seen many projects spend a lot of time
developing poorly thought out wrappers for libraries that didn't need
them. Most of the time is wasted on religious arguments over the proper
object hierarchy for the underlying library, and then getting it wrong
and redoing it over and over and over...

But, why should I try to make this point when Bjorn Stroustrup has made
it so very well http://www.artima.com/intv/goldilocks.html

		Bob Pendleton

> Please reply at earthpower at libero.it.
>
> Federico Tomassetti

+ Bob Pendleton: writer and programmer. +
+ email: Bob at Pendleton.com              +
+ web:   www.GameProgrammer.com         +