[SDL] SDL Audio callback thread not running !

ttwu at itri.org.tw ttwu at itri.org.tw
Mon Nov 10 23:05:01 PST 2003

Hello, I just used SDL for only few days,  but got a problem using SDL
sound function to play sounds.
I got two codes from SDL documentation and one worked well but another
didnt.

I show these codes below :

code 1 :
    static Uint8 *audio_chunk;
    static Uint32 audio_len;
    static Uint8 *audio_pos;

    /* The audio function callback takes the following parameters:
       stream:  A pointer to the audio buffer to be filled
       len:     The length (in bytes) of the audio buffer
    */
    void fill_audio(void *udata, Uint8 *stream, int len)
    {
        /* Only play if we have data left */
        if ( audio_len == 0 )
            return;

        /* Mix as much data as possible */
        len = ( len > audio_len ? audio_len : len );
        SDL_MixAudio(stream, audio_pos, len, SDL_MIX_MAXVOLUME);
        audio_pos += len;
        audio_len -= len;
    }

    /* Load the audio data ... */

    ;;;;;

    audio_pos = audio_chunk;

    /* Let the callback function play the audio chunk */
    SDL_PauseAudio(0);

    /* Do some processing */

    ;;;;;

    /* Wait for sound to complete */
    while ( audio_len > 0 ) {
        SDL_Delay(100);         /* Sleep 1/10 second */
    }
    SDL_CloseAudio();

code 2:

#define NUM_SOUNDS 2
struct sample {
    Uint8 *data;
    Uint32 dpos;
    Uint32 dlen;
} sounds[NUM_SOUNDS];

void mixaudio(void *unused, Uint8 *stream, int len)
{
    int i;
    Uint32 amount;

    for ( i=0; i<NUM_SOUNDS; ++i ) {
        amount = (sounds[i].dlen-sounds[i].dpos);
        if ( amount > len ) {
            amount = len;
        }
        SDL_MixAudio(stream, &sounds[i].data[sounds[i].dpos], amount,
SDL_MIX_MAXVOLUME);
        sounds[i].dpos += amount;
    }
}

void PlaySound(char *file)
{
    int index;
    SDL_AudioSpec wave;
    Uint8 *data;
    Uint32 dlen;
    SDL_AudioCVT cvt;

    /* Look for an empty (or finished) sound slot */
    for ( index=0; index<NUM_SOUNDS; ++index ) {
        if ( sounds[index].dpos == sounds[index].dlen ) {
            break;
        }
    }
    if ( index == NUM_SOUNDS )
        return;

    /* Load the sound file and convert it to 16-bit stereo at 22kHz */
    if ( SDL_LoadWAV(file, &wave, &data, &dlen) == NULL ) {
        fprintf(stderr, "Couldn't load %s: %s\n", file, SDL_GetError());
        return;
    }
    SDL_BuildAudioCVT(&cvt, wave.format, wave.channels, wave.freq,
                            AUDIO_S16,   2,             22050);
    cvt.buf = malloc(dlen*cvt.len_mult);
    memcpy(cvt.buf, data, dlen);
    cvt.len = dlen;
    SDL_ConvertAudio(&cvt);
    SDL_FreeWAV(data);

    /* Put the sound data in the slot (it starts playing immediately) */
    if ( sounds[index].data ) {
        free(sounds[index].data);
    }
    SDL_LockAudio();
    sounds[index].data = cvt.buf;
    sounds[index].dlen = cvt.len_cvt;
    sounds[index].dpos = 0;
    SDL_UnlockAudio();
}

code 1 WORKED well but Code 2 DIDN'T. I dont understend what's the
difference?
in documentation it says the callback function is a seperate running
thread,
but in code 2 the thread seems not running at all.

and, why the  while (audio_len>0) loop needed in the code 1 ?

thanks for your helps!