[SDL] Determine player's video's color depth...

Rico Zuñiga cardlib at yahoo.com
Mon Nov 10 08:52:01 PST 2003

I have just found out what's slowing down the the graphics in a game i'm making - setting the viedo to 32 bits per pixel, whereas my video can only support up to 24 bits per pixel. You might think this is stupid of me not realizing this sooner, but i'm a newbie and was just following the tutorial verbatim. So anyway after setting it to 24 bits, my game performed really well. My question now is how can I determine the appropriate bits per pixel to set for the other people who would play my game. Is there a way to determine (dynamically) the video settings of other people's machines.

Thanks in advance,
Rico