[SDL] Using SDL from within an Windows MFC application

Stephen Anthony stephena at roadrunner.nf.net
Sat Nov 1 07:35:01 PST 2003

First, a little history.  I'm working on Stella, the Atari 2600
emulator.  As there's no current maintainer for the Windows port, it
looks like I'm now the maintainer for the Linux *and* Windows ports.
For the Linux version, I've discontinued the X11 port and went with
pure SDL.  I'm thinking of doing the same with the Windows port.

The Windows port has a frontend as well as a backend.  The frontend is a
Windows MFC application which has a file lister, preference settings,
etc.  The backend is currently written using DirectX, and is quite out
of date and difficult to work with (it hasn't been updated in over 2
years).  When a new game is to be emulated (ie, when the user
double-clicks a game in the file lister), a DirectX window is opened
and the emulation core takes over.

My question is, can I use SDL to do this backend part instead?  I guess
my real question is that can the SDL subsystems be opened and closed
multiple times within the same program (when a new game is launched and
finished)?  And if using SDL within a Windows application, does it have
to be initialized as soon as the actual Windows application starts?  Or
can I do it whenever I want (which would sometimes be not at all)?  If
this is possible, then I assume that the while SDL is active, it will
take over all event-handling.  But when SDL exits, will event handling
return to the MFC application?

Any info on this is appreciated,
Steve