[SDL] Game event loop and input

David Olofson david at olofson.net
Fri Jan 31 07:22:01 PST 2003

On Friday 31 January 2003 02.42, Joby Bednar wrote:
> >I think this is more a general game programming question.
> >
> >Try www.gamedev.net or www.flipcode.com.
> >
> >Most importantly, try www.google.com.
> >
> >Check out the developer diaries on www.pyrogon.com.
> >
> >Check out the source to one/many of the many games listed on the
> > libsdl webpage.
> >
> >Owen Butler
>
> I was actaully hoping for any experience specifically with SDL
> events, since they are a little different than the Win32 message
> structure I'm used to coding in.

In what way? (Yes, I've done some Win32 programming as well...)

The only *important* difference is that SDL has only one place to send
events, and no focus system. It couldn't have, in any useful way, so
you have to implement that yourself in some way that works for you.
If you want windows, controls and focus, just implement that.

The easy way is dispatching events in a main event handler and
delivering them through function calls, but you could implement your
own event queues as well, if you like that better. (Although that's
only really useful if you get *tons* of events that you won't be able
to handle without serious filtering, and you don't want to do the
filtering in the dispatcher.)