[SDL] Re: SDL Install/Build problem with MingW & MSys

TomR trowt at directlink.net
Thu Jan 30 15:31:00 PST 2003

Continuing the saga...

I found a tutorial site that had an extremely simple first program, just to
ensure you had everything installed correctly...

#include "SDL.h"
int main ( int argc , char* argv [] )
{
  cout << "Howdy!";
  return ( 0 ) ;
}

Pretty simple, but it took me a full day to get it working simply due to
unfamiliarity with gcc.
First, I tried Bloodshed's Dev-C++, but kept getting a 'makefile' error -
something about an invalid separator or somesuch.
Then I decided to just go CLI with no frills, which kept giving me the
dreaded 'Undefined reference to WinMain at 16' error, which is apparently
extremely common, as google had pages and pages of hits for that search
term.

I finally stumbled upon the answer, which was to use the output of
'sdl-config --libs' (I believe), as parameters for g++. It worked, even
though I copied what the forum reply said, instead of actually checking what
my sdl-config returned, modifying for paths.

So, for anyone else that's truly a newbie and having similar problems, for
the above program, you need g++/gcc statements that look similar to....

$ g++ -c main.cpp -o main.o -I"C:/mingw/include/SDL"
$ g++ main.o test1_private.res -o
"test1.exe" -L"C:/mingw/lib/SDL" -lmingw32 -lSDLmain -lSDL -mwindows

...you can probably ignore 'test1_private.res' - that came from Dev-C++
letting me give the program an icon.

Anyway, I'm on to trying a "real" test app now that I have figured out how
to compile such that SDL is actually part of the app... I hope.

Thanks again to those that responded!