[SDL] custom BMP font engine

Corona688 tsm at accesscomm.ca
Wed Jan 29 16:44:01 PST 2003

Joby Bednar wrote:

> Last night I threw this together as a custom BMP font displayer that I could use in a game I'm working on.  The BMP file has already been loaded onto a surface "pFont12g".  The BMP was 12px high and 10px wide per letter.  The image starts with a blank space ASCII 32 and goes up to ASCII 126.  The function scans each character of the string submitted to be displayed and sets the x pos of the Src Rect based on the ASCII value.  I also check for '\n' and effectively create a newline.  It works really well, but I'm wondering if there is a faster way to do this?  I'm also a little shaky with pointers, so I created a duplicate of the message and manipulate that rather than accidentally frying the original (is this needed or just my own fear?).

Nope, isn't strictly necessary.  Modifying the pointer inside your function won't modify it outside of it;  it is a local variable in the same way that 'Sint16 x' is a local variable.  The memory pointed to is NOT local, of course, but the pointer ITSELF is.  And you're protected from writing to the memory pointed to message anyhow, since it's a CONST char *...  the compiler won't let you write to that memory without a type-cast.

It's still a good idea to keep message unmodified, though, in case you decide to tack some more code onto the bottom of that, and want to use message again...  Otherwise you could be scratching your head for hours wondering why your strings are always blank.  :)

As for your code, I can't see too many ways to improve it...  mebbe store strlen(message) in a local variable, so you're not measuring the length of the string every loop?  That'd be a negligible performance increase tho.  Also make sure you're converting the surfaces to display format.