[SDL] Re: wxWindows

Daniel Phillips phillips at arcor.de
Wed Jan 29 12:19:01 PST 2003

On Wednesday 29 January 2003 18:11, Johannes Schmidt wrote:
> Daniel Phillips wrote:
> >It may be a small thing, but I don't like having the widget set run my
> > event dispatch loop for me.  My application is not widget-centric, it is
> > rendering and realtime response-centric, so I want to run the main loop
> > myself thanks. FLTK lets me do this, glut does not.
>
> You can use LibUFO. It gives you full control over your event loop.
> So far, it works with SDL and GLUT, other backends might follow.
>
> The only problem is that it is far away from binary compatibility.

Thanks for that, ufo is an interesting project.  Unfortunately, when I built
it, all the tests segfault, and after sniffing around a little with gdb I
decided I was likely in c++ binary compatibility hell and do not have more
time to investigate.  Well, in case anyone recognizes this one instantly,
here's the symptom:

   UBasicButtonBorder::paintBorder (this=Cannot access memory at address
0x3c23d712) at ui/basic/ubasicborderfactory.cpp:145

After doing a little research, I found that GTK also lets me take control of
the main loop if I want to:

   http://developer.gnome.org/doc/API/2.0/glib/glib-The-Main-Event-Loop.html

I'll probably find the same about QT if I go digging.  So it seems it's
common for GUI frameworks to cater to my particular prejudice, where I do not
necessarily trust the main loop of a GUI to schedule things the way I want
them.

Anyway, UFO's stated intent is bang-on what I'm looking for:

   libUFO is a cross-platform high level GUI library for OpenGL.
   It is based upon an abstract layer which must be implemented by a native
   backend.

But it doesn't seem quite ready to use, and I wonder why the library needs a
megabyte of program text to do this.

Regards,

Daniel