[SDL] Re: wxWindows (OT)

Gib Bogle bogle at ihug.co.nz
Mon Jan 27 12:54:01 PST 2003

Daniel Phillips wrote:

> On Monday 27 January 2003 15:54, Roy Wood wrote:
> > After poking around for a while, I've settled on wxWindows.
> >
> > The pure-GL solutions like PUI and GLUI and GLOW each present a
> > consistent appearance on each platform, since they render within the
> > OpenGL window using their own code (well, popups are handled via glut in
> > GLUI and GLOW, so they look like crap; PUI does its own popups, but they
> > still look like crap).  If this is what you want, go for it.  In my case,
> > I want my app to look native on each platform, so wxWindows was the way
> > to go.
>
> Does wxWindows play well with SDL?  I haven't tried it, but it looks to me
> like wxWindows wants to create your windows for you and take over the main
> event loop.  GTK wants to do that too, which is why I'm not that interested
> in using it.  It makes no sense to me that a widget set should grab control
> of your main program, just to make you do workarounds to make it seem like
> that didn't happen.  QT seems to at least recognize this problem and provide
> some support for coexistence with applications that want to run their own
> event loop.  FLTK on the other hand, does what I think a widget set should,
> and is quite happy to completely stay out of the way of your application,
> letting you create the OpenGL surface with SDL and run the main loop yourself:
>
>    http://www.turricane.org/~wizard/projects/fltk-demo/
>
> I don't know if FTLK can use native widgets.  I think it can use native MS
> Windows widgets, but I don't have a Windows system and haven't verified this.
>
> I do very much like the way FTLK interacts with SDL and I like the way it
> looks, so for me FTLK is looking very promising.  The way I see it, a widget
> set should just be a widget set and not try to take over the world.
>
> > wxWindows uses native widgets on the supported platforms, unlike Qt which
> > emulates the widgets (it does a spiffy job-- dunno if it's better than
> > Java in that or not).  As well, wxWindows just released a new version and
> > now supports MacOS 9.x, MacOS X, Win32, Gtk, and Motif.  Oh-- and
> > wxWindows is about ten years old, so it is very mature (well, for an Open
> > Source project), and has a huge userbase.
>
> For a game, native widgets aren't important imho, they just need to work
> work in the expect way and look good.
>
> Like everybody else, I'm feeling my way through this.

It is obviously a complicated subject.  I am more interested in
easy-of-programming than anything else as far as a GUI is concerned (of
course it has to look OK).  One of the great attractions of SDL is that
it is so intelligently designed and easy to use.  I have just installed
wxWindows (on W2000) and have been playing with it a bit, particularly
with the OpenGL sample cube.cpp, since I need to have OpenGL access.  I
don't know if this is a well-written example or not, but the code makes
me feel a bit sick.  It seems unnecessarily complex and confusing, but
that is probably just the combination of the nature of GUI/OO code and
my level of ignorance in this area.

>From what you say FLTK sounds interesting.  If it makes the coding more
straightforward I'll be a starter.

Gib