[SDL] Poor performance using alpha blending

Kylotan kylotan at kylotan.eidosnet.co.uk
Mon Jan 27 09:57:01 PST 2003

Matt Monson wrote:
> any workarounds or anything? shouldnt SDL_HWSURFACE work better than
> SDL_SWSURFACE ??

No. This has been covered on the list before, so I suggest a Google
search (with site:libsdl.org as one of the parameters) might answer this
question far better than I could. But the short answer is that firstly,
hardware surfaces are slow when you're reading data from them back to
the CPU, and secondly, 'hardware surface' rarely means 'fully
accelerated' because most hardware acceleration is reserved for 3D
operations.

--
Kylotan
http://pages.eidosnet.co.uk/kylotan