[SDL] Best way to rotate a sprite?

Bill Kendrick nbs at sonic.net
Sun Jan 26 15:49:01 PST 2003

On Sun, Jan 26, 2003 at 10:33:59PM -0000, Tane Piper wrote:
> I do kind of care about lighting, but I don't want to have pre-rendered turn
> sequences, or 4-8 direction sprites I interpolate between, because the car
> needs to be able to travel in any direction on a 360-degree turning circle.

Do you REALLY need 360 different angles for your images, though?

I mean, why stop there?  Why not allow the car to move in fractions of degrees?
Have 720 different images?  Or 1440? :^)

For most 2D gaming purposes, 16 or even 32 or 36 different angles of your
images is _plenty_.

At some point, your sprite is so small that the 91 degree and 92 degree
images of the car are indistinguishable.

-bill!