Subject: [SDL] Output to PAL TV problem (Mac OS X)

Darrell Walisser walisser at mac.com
Thu Jan 23 17:37:00 PST 2003

On Thursday, January 23, 2003, at 03:01  PM, sdl-request at libsdl.org
wrote:

> Message: 1
> Date: Thu, 23 Jan 2003 18:08:47 +0100
> Subject: Re: Subject: [SDL] Output to PAL TV problem (Mac OS X)
> From: Franck Roussel Rasmussen <franck at roussel.dk>
> To: <sdl at libsdl.org>
>

>> What is the problem? A few weekends ago I used my Radeon PCI to watch
>> video on my TV using Mplayer, and had no problems. It was NTSC though.
>> This doesn't seem like a bug in SDL, rather a problem with your video
>> card or driver (SDL doesn't know/care about PAL or NTSC).
>>

> I have a Rage128 8MB (TiBook 500).
>
> If I set the PAL TV as primary monitor, Mplayer refuses to launch any
> movies
> what so ever.
>
> If I set the TV as "slave", I can manually drag the movie over to the
> TV and
> the movies plays fine, but I can't set it to be full screen.
>
> If I set the LCD as primary, and play a movie full screen, and while
> the
> movie is playing changes the TV to be primary, Mplayer (I guess)
> changes the
> TV output to NTSC...
>
> It works fine as long the as the TV output is set to NTSC, the problem
> only
> occurs when it is set to PAL (when is kinda frustrating when my TV is
> PAL :)

You might try playing with the -monitoraspect and -screenw, -screenh
options. Mplayer might be trying to use a resolution that PAL doesn't
support, so it fails rather than picking another resolution. When I was
using it, I set the aspect to 1.5 to get it to use the 720x480 instead
of 640x480 (in fullscreen mode).