[SDL] OpenGL speed, Linux vs W2000

Jimmy jimmy at jimmysworld.org
Thu Jan 23 14:28:01 PST 2003

> Now I have to correct a previous statement I made.  I now realize from
> looking at the output from the program that the W2000 version always
> sets SDL_GL_DEPTH_SIZE to 16, while the Linux version sets it to 24,
> regardless of what I try to set it at (16 or 24).  The call
> SDL_GL_SetAttribute(SDL_GL_DEPTH_SIZE, n) seems to be redundant -
> commenting it out has no effect.

I think this is almost certainly the reason for the fps difference.
Regardless of why it's happening, linux is using a higher and slower bpp
then the W2000 counterpart is.  That's going to have a negative impact
on the speed.

Since the bpp is being inherited by X in linux, you could try setting
the bpp of your X server to 16, and trying the test again.  I would
expect that the speeds would be closer.