[SDL] OpenGL speed, Linux vs W2000

Shawn drevil at warpcore.org
Thu Jan 23 12:47:01 PST 2003

On Thu, 2003-01-23 at 14:02, Mike Vanecek wrote:
> Which Linux driver version are you using, and what distro? I upgraded
> from RH 7.1 to 8 and to the latest nvidia drivers and fps speeds in the
> planetary gears screensaver are *way* down - from 42fps to 32fps on a
> gforce2 400mx 64mb card. I've heard that the latest drivers may have
> some 2d issues with X, but haven't heard of any 3d issues so it's hard
> to tell whether it's the very young Gnome2 libs eating up resources or
> the new driver...

The reason 2d performance is down with the new drivers is because they
have removed XAA support. The reasoning was that they could not provide
adequate support for professional simultaneous 2D and 3D acceleration
with the XAA architecture in use. The Render extension is being worked
on though, and support for it is supposed to be greatly expanded for the
next release of the driver.