[SDL] pixels vs blit

Glenn Maynard g_sdl at zewt.org
Thu Jan 23 11:59:00 PST 2003

On Thu, Jan 23, 2003 at 08:39:03PM +0100, M. Egmond wrote:
> I know it takes up a lot of video (or system) memory, but it seemed the
> best solution at the time for me since I did not have access to any
> (useable) font-routines. The main disadvantage I am running into at the
> moment though, is that it's almost impossible to add support for other
> charactersets (e.g. russian, chinese, etc.) without rewriting large parts
> of my code. Fortunately I already have most accented characters so that
> translation to languages like english, french, german, spanish are
> possible...

Just pointing out a completely different method:

StepMania uses SDL+OpenGL, using texture fonts.  We can get arbitrary
coloring, blending, and alpha shadows very quickly.  Fonts are usually
full RGBA, so the font can have color in it directly (for fullcolor
fonts or simple borders; we use diffuse color on top of that).  Fonts
are antialiased on the alpha channel.  We could even fit a 2000-glyph
grayscale Kanji font in memory in less than a meg (using a 4-bit alpha
texture, 2048 glyphs at 24x24 pixels each is 576k).

--
Glenn Maynard