[SDL] SDL_zipfile 0.1.0

Ben Stover bstover at ossm.edu
Wed Jan 22 22:15:07 PST 2003

I just happened to be browsing the SDL mailing list archives and saw these two responses.  I apologize for not replying earlier, and I can't seem to set my reply-to in my e-mail client (blasted web Groupwise).

Sorry to mention this, but there's already something that does this quite well:
http://www.icculus.org/physfs/

and what about http://zziplib.sf.net ??

Just from a brief look at the libraries, they aren't quite the same as my little piece of code if I read correctly.  It seems that they create a whole virtual hierarchy to play with, and mine has a much smaller scope.  My code simply reads a zipfile, loads the data into memory, and if it knows what it is (bitmap, sound, etc) then it converts the file data into something that is ready to be used (ie blit to the screen, played, etc).  I wanted something that worked like the Allegro datafiles, so I came up with this small (but satisfactory to me) solution.

btw, why did you viralize it with the GPL - more than 2/3rd of your lib are based
on code under the zlib license - this is not generally consired nice, ye know.

Sorry, I didn't mean any offense by it.  :-( I really wasn't thinking about the whole licensing thing, and just to clarify, I didn't try to take the zlib license and throw it out the window.  All the source code I borrowed has its own copyright at the top which would override my GPL.  But I have no objections to making it LGPL, I just simply didn't expect that sort of thing to be an issue.  :-) Thanks for the replies!

~Ben