[SDL] feasibility of a bootable linux cdrom with a game in SDL

Bob Pendleton bob at pendleton.com
Wed Jan 22 06:08:02 PST 2003

On Wed, 2003-01-22 at 02:44, Pallier Christophe wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am wondering about the feasability of creating a bootable Linux cdrom
> that would launch directly a program written in SDL.

I must first say that I think that developing this capability would be a
huge service to the Linux game development community. Go for it.

Look at KNOPPIX. http://www.knoppix.org/ It does pretty much what you
want it to do. Boots from a CD and configures a workable system.

> In this way, users would not have to install anything on their system:
> they could just boot from the CD without being aware that Linux is used.
>
> The first problem I foresee is the setup of the video and
> audio systems (because I would like the CD to function on most PCs).

I recently built a new computer for my wife, I installed RedHat 8.0 and
it configured the CD and the video just fine. I had to run a second
application that came with RH to configure the sound. But, it worked
perfectly the first time.

I believe that what you want to do is doable. It may be hard, but it is
*NOT* impossible.

> Searching on the web for "Linux bootable cdrom game"
> system", I found a text written by YAMAMORI Takenori, but he did
> not solve the auto hardware configuration problem.
>
> Hardware autodetection seem to have improved a lot in the latest linux
> distrbutions (e.g. Mandrake 9), but did it reach the point where we
> could start Xwindow (in 1024x768 and 24bit depth) and have the alsa sound
> system ready to play?
>
> I would like to know what people on this list think about this.
> For example, should we use the framebuffer rather the XWindow?

I think there are more drivers for X than for straight framebuffer
support, but I could very well wrong. Using X will make it easier to use
the graphic card for acceleration.

		Bob Pendleton

> Christophe Pallier
> www.pallier.org