[SDL] Fullscreen in X question

Sam Lantinga slouken at devolution.com
Mon Jan 20 20:19:01 PST 2003

> Hello,

> I've been trying to solve a problem without any success. I'm using a
> dualhead setup in Linux and am running EffecTV on Linux with XF98 4.2.

> Normally I can mouse to either screen. When I switch to fullscreen mode
> (called by SDL_WM_ToggleFullScreen() ) the screen opens up full on screen 0
> as expected.

> The problem is that it is capturing the cursor and won't let me get it to
> the other screen so that I can control other things.

That's correct.  The basic problem is that once the cursor leaves the SDL
window, SDL has no idea of when it needs to grab it back.  Ideally it would
grab the cursor when the mouse moves from the other screen back to the first
one, but SDL has no idea when this happens.  Worse, once SDL loses the input
focus other windows can start popping themselves up over the SDL fullscreen
window.  So, the short answer is that due to the X architecture it's not
possible to share the mouse across multiple screens unless you're in windowed
mode.

See ya!