[SDL] Using MIDI in SDL mixer ...

Sam Lantinga slouken at devolution.com
Sun Jan 19 16:05:01 PST 2003

> What I really want to know is what the 'enable-native-midi' option in
> SDL_mixer means.  I assumed it meant native (as in hardware if available)
> support.

It enables the native_midi_gpl code.
>From the README in that directory:
Unfortunately, the code for the native MIDI support on Linux is derived
from source under the GNU General Public License, and not the GNU LGPL.
Therefore, it's not built by default.

Native Midi support for Linux should work on FreeBSD too ( I can not test it ).

Midi device can be selected with enviroment variable SDL_NATIVE_MUSIC, there can h
ave one of flowing vlues:
GUS  - GravisUltrasound
AWE  - SoundBlaster AWE32
FM   - FreqentionModulation SoundBlaster Compatible
OPL3 - Yamaha OPL/3
EXT  - External MIDI port

See ya!