[SDL] SDL Install/Build problem with MingW & MSys

TomR trowt at directlink.net
Wed Jan 29 08:56:11 PST 2003

On January 19, 2003 04:43 pm, Shawn wrote:
> On Sun, 2003-01-19 at 12:32, Stephen Anthony wrote:
> > I have a SB Live which has hardware MIDI, and it sounds a lot better
> > than Timidity.  If it is possible, HOW DO I DO IT?
>
> And you'll only get to experience that hardware wavetable MIDI if
> you're using the commercial OSS drivers AFAIK. I'm not aware of any
> driver under Linux or BSD that supports wavetable except the commercial
> OSS drivers.

I've used the LucasArts emulator ScummVM, and the Sierra emulator FreeSCI.
Both have an option to use OSS (/dev/sequencer) or ALSA hardware MIDI
support.  So it shouldn't be that hard to add that ability to SDL_mixer.
You just have to make sure that a soundfont has been loaded.  In fact,
there is even an environment variable for SDL_mixer to use AWE, which is
exactly what I'm looking for (AWE32/64 and SBLive are similar in this
respect).  Problem is that it won't work, at least in ROTT.  Hardware
MIDI is working everywhere else (through ALSA and OSS).

What I really want to know is what the 'enable-native-midi' option in
SDL_mixer means.  I assumed it meant native (as in hardware if available)
support.

Steve