[SDL] Fullscreen in X question

Ed Tannenbaum et at et-arts.com
Sat Jan 18 07:26:01 PST 2003

Hello,

Sorry for the possible repeat of this post.  I didn't see it show up in the
digest.

I've been trying to solve a problem without any success. I'm using a
dualhead setup in Linux and am running EffecTV (which makes great use of
SDL) on Linux with XF86 4.x.

Normally I can mouse to either screen. When I switch to fullscreen mode
(called by SDL_WM_ToggleFullScreen() ) the screen opens up full on screen 0
as expected.

The problem is that it is capturing the cursor (mouse pointer) and won't
let me get it to the other screen so that I can control other things. The
SDL_ShowCursor(SDL_ENABLE) works and turns on the cursor, but
SDL_WM_GrabInput(SDL_GRAB_OFF) has no effect. I've tried hacking your
source in SDL_X11modes.c but haven't been able to tame this beast of a
problem. Perhaps it's a purely X thing or maybe there is another flag I can
try??

I'm using an NVIDIA GeForce4 MX400 dual head card. I have the same behavior
with Matrox G400 and G450 cards.  It happens whether I use Xinerama or not.

BTW: I've found that the Matrox cards treat fullscreen differently than
NVIDIA in XIinerama mode, and I have to use dual screen mode with NVIDIA or
else both screens are used for fullscreen, breaking the image in two
between the screens.  It must be a bug with Matrox (that I like).

SDL is great by the way!  I didn't find the answer in the archives.

Thanks!

ET