[SDL] DGA Myths

Patrick McFarland unknown at panax.com
Fri Jan 17 15:14:00 PST 2003

On 17-Jan-2003, Rafa³ Bursig wrote:
> Dnia 2003.01.16 19:35 Patrick McFarland napisa³(a):
> >Maybe this should be added to the FAQ.
> >
> >1q) Does DGA require root?
> >1a) Yes. It either requires being root, having permissions to access
> >      /dev/mem, having the application in question owned by root
> >      and have the setuid bit set in the permissions.
> >      (Being root, being able to do stuff usually only root can,
> >       or setting an application setuid root are
> >      all major security risks are not recommended.)
> >
> OK.
>
> What ( where ) should be done in : SDL, X , KERNEL, to fix it ?
>
> I think that best solution will be when we can set access to DGA in
> XFConfig file like to DRI.

Actually, its the fault of DGA and its intergration with X. X already has root
(its required for it to work) and it should have DGA piggy back on X to access
the framebuffer.  Also, you cant set access to DGA. (atleast with linux, other
systems, like bsd, have more specialized access systems.) /dev/mem cannot be
restricted just to access video memory unless its built into DGA itself.
(read as: massive design flaw.)

Patrick "Diablo-D3" McFarland || unknown at panax.com