[SDL] Accelerated Blitting under X11 for GeForce 3?

Bettina Rathmann M.Rathmann at ping.de
Thu Jan 16 06:39:00 PST 2003

Am Mit, 2003-01-15 um 18.31 schrieb Patrick McFarland:
> On 15-Jan-2003, Bettina Rathmann wrote:
> > I'm toying around with SDL 1.2.5 under Linux x86, XFree86 4.2.0 and a
> > GeForce 3 card (NVidia driver 3121). Mostly I'm blitting 8 bit deep
> > Surfaces around. Having no problems with my GFX-card in any kind of game
> > (RT2, Heretic, F.A.K.K 2, HoMM3), I honestly thought that everything was
> > accelerated. However, as I was blitting more and more data (at
> > 800x600/16bpp) the programme was becoming slower and slower, so I finlly
> > checked the Driver name and acceration status: X11 and nothing
> > accelrated.
>
> All those games are 3D games afaik, and have nothing to do with 2D blitting.
> And make sure you are running the most recent, and correct nvidia drivers.

No quite - Railroad Tycoon and Heroes of Might and Magic are 2d
(tilebased?). The latest 2d driver from NVidia 41xx is very slow in 2d
drawing under certain circumstances and has stability issues (as I read
on the NVidia boards), so I decided to not install it. I#M using the
release before the current one, which is stable (exceotion see below)

I am not aiming for the fastest possible blitting ever - I just want to
enable hardware blitting which should speed up blitting a bit :o)

I did set the Videodriver to dga, SDL_GetVideoInfo() says hardware
acceleration is available and the game crashes, sometimes shortly after
SDL_Init() sometimes later when using SDL_Flip() and doublebuffering.
The crash is complete - only power off/ on will help.

Note that the code may not be the most brilliant piece of programming
but does run abolutely stable when not using DGA. So any idea on what to
do what be very helpful.

BTW: My OpenGL setup works perfectly fine - but it would be some work to
change everything from SDL to OpenGL and I don't want to use OpenGL but
SDL  :o)

Oh and I got this error, when my programme didn't crash immediately after
start and when I could stop it normally:

X Error of failed request:  XF86DGANoDirectVideoMode
  Major opcode of failed request:  136 (XFree86-DGA)
  Minor opcode of failed request:  13 (XDGASetMode)
  Serial number of failed request:  13

Thanks for all the help so far
Bettina