[SDL] Accelerated Blitting under X11 for GeForce 3?

Patrick McFarland unknown at panax.com
Thu Jan 16 00:06:02 PST 2003

On 16-Jan-2003, Pallav Nawani wrote:
> Correct me if I am wrong, but itsn't this due to the fact that
> linux dosen't allow you to access hardware directly? My
> understanding is that DGA gives direct access to framebuffer, and
> you can't do this unless you have root access.
>
> SVGALIB also requires (SUID) root access (for a brief time
> only)and GGI has a component in kernel itself (KGI) to allow
> direct access to video hardware.

Its not X's fault, but the kernel's. You need access to /dev/mem (which should
always be root permissions only) to use DGA, or anything else that needs to
map video memory. (Including X itself.) What you should be asking yourself, is
why doesnt X "piggyback" DGA, and have it wrap DGA access calls so it can only
access mapped video memory via /dev/mem, instead of everything (which is a
security risk.)

Patrick "Diablo-D3" McFarland || unknown at panax.com