[SDL] Setting up on VC++

Janito Vaqueiro Ferreira Filho jvffprogramming at ieg.com.br
Fri Jan 24 12:50:01 PST 2003

On Tuesday 14 January 2003 21:24, Bob Pendleton wrote:
> ...The experience is rather like day dreaming in math class and
> then being asked to solve the problem on the board. :-)

Considerable knowledge of X minutae is needed here, which is why I thought of
you.

> Anyway, is the KDE window manager sending the application a resize
> event? If it is, what's the problem?

It's not.  The problem manifests at the time of application startup, in the
initial SDL_SetVideoMode.

Anyway, it would be wrong for KDE to take the liberty of sending a resize
event at application startup time, as that would require any just-performed
window initialization work to be discarded without ever being used, which
would be perverse.  What I would expect in this case is for X to create the
new window at a size other than that specified by the XCreateWindow call,
requiring the application to take note of this and handle the situation
accordingly.  But that is not what is happening.  Instead, X returns a window
that is dimensioned at the requested size, a size that does not correspond to
the size of the window actually displayed.

I suspect that there is *another* window somehow involved, and that the
window being returned to SDL by XCreateWindow is (bizarrely) being clipped to
display within that mysterious other window.  This is just a theory, and
actually, it mainly shows how little I know about X at this point.

Daniel

Daniel