"OpenMedia" (was: Re: [SDL] SDL License Change: wxWindows LGPL cont.)

Kai Blin kai.blin at med.uni-tuebingen.de
Mon Jan 13 00:39:01 PST 2003

On Sunday 12 January 2003 02:19, Patrick McFarland wrote:

> xcf (gimp's native format) is open, except not many viewers support it. It
> also isnt hard to make a reader for it. Also, in respect to 3D, 3DS may be

Sure, but I don't know if there's a photoshop plugin for xcf out there. Good
thing to start looking for, though. :)

> proprietary, but there is a library out there (lib3ds) that can load 3ds
> files into a format you can dump right into opengl and display right away.
> (This doesnt include .max, 3dsmax's native format) also iirc crystal space
> has a loader for lwo, so two common 3D formats are supported. Also, 3dsmax
> and lightwave both can do stuff like the "standard" text format (Im not
> sure how good it is, though) and stuff like id's mdl/md2/md3 model mesh
> formats.

Yeah, I just don't know if that counts as transparent...

> Btw, in a media context, what does GFDL add to just GPLing it?

It makes the media a set, iirc. So if you use one part of it, you have to
release all of the art. That's usefull for bundeling models and meshes, etc
:) (or so I've been told)

Cheers, Kai

--
Kai Blin 	Linux system administrator 	Tel: Ring-86592
Allgemeine Chirurgie 	Universitaetsklinikum Tuebingen

Don't put off for tomorrow what you can do today because if you enjoy it
today,
you can do it again tomorrow.