[SDL] Polygon fonts for SDL/OpenGL

Bob Pendleton bob at pendleton.com
Sat Jan 11 11:53:01 PST 2003

On Fri, 2003-01-10 at 16:02, Jan Becker wrote:
> > For my next project I would really like to have a source of nice
> polygon
> > fonts. Ideally I would like something that converts a truetype font to
> > nice set polygon definitions. Does anyone know a package that will do
> > that conversion? I've searched and haven't found anything that does
> what
> > I want. FTGL comes close, in that it contains code to tessellate the
> > polygon data in a .ttf file.
>
> You can use lib freetype to get the outlines of each character and
> tesselate them with gluTesselators or by your own.

That is why I was looking at FTGL. It uses lib freetype to get the font
outlines, then uses gluTesselators to convert them to triangle strips
and fans. But, FTGL does it at run time and is written in C++ and I need
the data to be available at other times and in other languages.

> Tesselation of non convex polygons is not trivial at least if they
> contain holes. There are some good algorithms around there (e.g. Seidel
> algorithm). Some time ago a patched a small lib to work for me. You can
> contact me, if you want the sourcecode. I haven't made it public
> available yet.

Thanks, please send me the code.

Tessellation of polys and curves doesn't bother me. I just don't see the
point in doing anything I don't have to do. It saves time to use
existing code.

> Regards,
> Jan
>
> > I'm about to start hacking FTGL to do what I want. But, I thought I'd
> > ask if anyone else has already done it before I spend the time.
> >
> > 		Bob Pendleton
> >

> > --
+ Bob Pendleton, consultant for hire +
+ Resume: http://www.jump.net/~bobp  +