[SDL] OpenGL speed, Linux vs W2000

Gib Bogle bogle at ihug.co.nz
Wed Jan 22 15:21:00 PST 2003

Hello Steve,

CS> I am sure this has been asked before many times, but I am unable to download
CS> 87 megs of past postings - so here goes ;)

CS> Can I use SDL to give me a hardware accelerated window within a conventional
CS> MFC / VB or WIN32 application.  I am planning on using SDL for raster map
CS> of a native Win32 application with the benefits of SDL.

Ehm, http://www.maccormack.net/~djm/sdl_win32_demo/ .

And a question to everybody else:

This demo tries to create 640x480 window.
It creates window with height 480 + title bar height but SDL only
shows 480 - menu bar height. Is it possible to adjust creation
settings in some way, so we'll see all 480 pixels on the screen
instead of 480 - menu bar height? I'm using WinAPI in my old branch of
game and I've started major rewrite of the code leaving old branch to
die but I want to fix such bug since I'm initing 320x240 window and
SDL output window (which is only 218-222 pixels instead of 240) looks
very bad - my 18 lines are not visible!

Look here:
correct:
http://bgs.sourceforge.net/screens-0.7-rc1/warsaw_0_0_1900_65984.png
incorrect:
http://bgs.sourceforge.net/screens/021218_2.png

You can see bottom ~18 lines missing in 021218_2.png image.

If I will initialise window in resolution like 320x260 that problem
will be solved, but anyway, it's not the solution, since I will have
to handle 2 different resolutions - windoed (240+~20) and
fullscreen (240). If I'll try to make screenshots in
windowed mode they will be 320x260... Too much problems.

I need a solution, thanks.

--
Lynx,
http://dotNet.lv                          mailto:emulynx at delfi.lv