[SDL] SDL license change suggestion: wxWindows LPGL

Adilson Oliveira adilson at lsc.com.br
Wed Jan 8 10:29:00 PST 2003

Bob Pendleton wrote:
> On Wed, 2003-01-08 at 09:52, Nick Whitelegg wrote:

Hi.

This is very OT but I had to add my 2 cents on it.

> If you buy two VCRs and use them to make copies, you are responsible for
> the copies you make. But if you manufacture a device that makes it easy
> to make copies, you may be held responsible for all the illegal copies
> made using your device, even if you didn't use it to make illegal copies
> yourself.

This is just plain stupid. Handguns are made to hurt people and you
don't sue the manufacturers. Anyway, I'm not calling *you* stupid, just
the idea ;)

> IMHO if you sue someone and lose, you should have to pay the person you
> sued at least twice what they spent to defend themselves + the amount
> you spent to sue them. That would balance things out. But, that is not
> the way things are. So, right now small businesses have to be very
> careful about who they piss off.

Here in Brazil is that way. If you sue someone and lose you will most
probably have to pay for the other's part expenses. If can't afford the
legal costs, the state provides legal advisers. Of course, one can't
expect to get top-of-the-line lawyers this way but at leats you have
some way of defend yourself.

[]s

Adilson.