[SDL] GTK/SDL Window Repainting

John Morrison jmorriso at hotmail.com
Tue Jan 21 07:57:02 PST 2003

On Tue, 2003-01-07 at 20:55, Joseph Carter wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 07, 2003 at 02:24:01PM -0600, Shawn wrote:
> > It doesn't sound like you're really interested in an embedded exception.
> > Rather, you just want to be able to static link SDL period. Somehow this
> > seems a bit off-color to me personally.
>
> Indeed - I wonder how the wxWindows license is suitably different than a
> BSD license.  It's a hell of a lot longer, but the exception basically
> makes it essentially identical.
>
> --
> Joseph Carter <knghtbrd at efn.org>             A mighty Oak is the result of
>   ^ a nut                                       a nut that held its ground
>
> Granted, Win95's look wasn't all that new either - Apple tried to sue
> Microsoft for copying the Macintosh UI / trash can icon, until Microsoft
> pointed out that Apple got many of its Mac ideas (including the trash can
> icon) from Xerox ParcPlace.  Xerox is probably still wondering why
> everyone is interested in their trash cans.

I don't usually responed to .sig files... But, IIRC Xerox finally did
try to sue over the appropriation of their ideas. But, it took them so
long that the court kick out the suit. Use it or lose it folks.

Also, I seem to remember that the X consortium DID get a license from
Xerox. The idea being that by do that Xerox couldn't sue them, and if
Apple or Microsoft sued then (A & MS) would be taking a risk of losing
their rights to their interfaces. So... no one ever sued anyone over X.

		Bob Pendleton

--
+ Bob Pendleton, consultant for hire +