[SDL] DGA Myths

Patrick McFarland unknown at panax.com
Thu Jan 16 10:36:01 PST 2003

On Thu, 12 Dec 2002, Magnus Sjöstrand wrote:

> Date: Thu, 12 Dec 2002 09:25:19 +0100
> From: Magnus Sjöstrand <magnus.sj at telia.com>
> To: sdl at libsdl.org
> Subject: Re: [SDL] Accel X with SDL
>
> Sandra wrote:
>
> > hi,
> >
> > Has anybody tested/worked SDL with Accelerated X? What were the results?
> > In your views what are the pros and cons of Accelerated X server with SDL?
> >
> > Sandra
> >

> I'm using Accelerated X ( on a Radeon 9000 Pro ). In my oppion it's much
> faster and more stable than XFree, but there are some things that's
> annoying. For one it has no DGA support, it has a version of DRI ( not
> the free one, but the same concept, which works well ). There's also the

	That would be XDA - a low level direct rendering library and
extension.  There is no public API for it though, as it is still in
flux... Also, it primarily deals with 3D rendering only...

> fact that it seems that SDL can't change the resolution of the screen (
> it should be possible though, since the ctrl+alt+[+/-] changes it ),
> this could be a since I only got the "gold" version, which doesn't have

	Any version of Summit should be able to change the resolutions via
SDL... I added this support to SDL myself some time ago (1.2.4).
Resolution switching is accomplished via the XME extension.  If you have
Summit installed (which will include the XME headers and libs), SDL should
find XME when you run ./configure to build it...  I play a few games that
use SDL for res switching under Summit - ut2003, hg, sof, etc - no
problem.

> the XVideo extension, the Platinum version has XVideo if I read the
> specs correctly though. Accel-X is very stable and I've only been able
> to crash it once - and I'm quite good at crashing software ;). It also
> gives you better options on color correction and a nice setup program (
> for both X and console ), so there's no more editing config files for X.
> It's also very easy to install, all you have to do is install the rpm (
> works even though I use gentoo ), and run Xsetup, and it's working (
> I've never had such luck after installing XFree ).
>
> If your card is supported by XFree ( with DRI and DGA ) - and it's
> stable on your machine, I don't think it's worth the $100. The only
> reason I bought it was that I needed the support for my Radeon 9000 pro.
> I get about the same OpenGL performance as in windows ( windowed mode ),
> but if I run fullscreen in windows it blows Accel-X away. I guess this

	Probably page flipping.  This support is still in development for
Summit.

> is because it hasn't any DGA support.

	Well, windows doesn't use DGA either ;-)

Jon Trulson    mailto:jon at radscan.com
ID: 1A9A2B09, FP: C23F328A721264E7 B6188192EC733962
PGP keys at http://radscan.com/~jon/PGPKeys.txt
#include <std/disclaimer.h>
Bad Color Temperature, Too much Peach.